Custom Search

Friday, July 16, 2010

Onion Oat Whey Bread

What to do with leftover whey after making cheese...hmmm....bread!  Just use the whey as a substitute for water...it will not change the taste, but will add protein!  I found this recipe at Bittersweet, for Onion Whey Bread...please check out the Bittersweet blog for full instructions...I'm just going to make my dough in the bread machine, then bake in the oven.  I'll freeze mine to use in Vince's lunches for when we are back from vacation. 

Onion Whey Bread
2 Tablespoons Margarine
1 Medium Sweet Onion, Chopped
1 Cup Whey
1 1/2 Teaspoons Granulated Sugar
1 Package Active Dry Yeast
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 – 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Oat Flour

I am making more cheese this weekend, so I'll be trying out some other whey bread recipes in the coming weeks...
 
I am happy to be able to find another use for one of my big stockpile items...oats!  You can make your own oat flour by throwing oats in your blender, and pulsate until they resemble flour.  I read that you cannot substitute the entire flour amount with oat flour...something about consistency...but you could try half!

2 comments:

beth said...

here's another recipe I'll try, omitting the whey powder and subbing the water with whey liquid:

WHOLE WHEAT SQUAW BREAD

2 tbsp. yeast
1/2 c. hot water
1/2 tsp. sugar
5 c. water
7 c. whole wheat flour
2/3 c. cooking oil
2 tbsp. salt
2/3 c. honey
2 eggs
1/2 c. whey powder
1/2 c. oat flour
1 c. bran
1 c. cornmeal
1 c. rye flour

Yield: 4 loaves. Set aside first 3 ingredients (combine). Mix at low speed rest of water and flour; add oil, honey, eggs and salt. Add yeast. Add whey powder, oat flour, bran, cornmeal, rye and 3 cups whole wheat flour. Knead dough for 10 minutes on low speed. Put in loaves. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

beth said...

I baked 2 loaves of bread today, and made dough to freeze for 6 more loaves...I was a busy girl today!