Custom Search

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Potato Patties

I mentioned eating a leftover potato patty for lunch today...my ex-MIL made some and sent them home with Trenton when he visited her recently...she is like me in that we don't use recipes, instead we just throw stuff together and hope it works!  This is definitely not a healthy dish, but it is delicious, and a great way to get out of the mashed potato rut!  I don't like mashed potatoes as leftovers..fine the first meal, but they seem dry later on...
Basically, my ex-MIL's version is to take you leftover mashed potatoes, add a chopped onion, some flour and egg to make a dough, and she grates a fresh raw potato into the mix as well, but I've see recipes that don't include that step.  Some recipes will batter the patty for frying like you would meat, but this is all together, and you just drop it in the oil to fry it...it's kind of like a hush puppy, only with potatoes...wow, what a surprisingly good concept!  I'll try making them on my own sometime...we don't eat alot of potatoes, especially mashed...we are more of a 'sweet potato kinda family'.  We don't get tired of sweet potatoes, but I bet you could do patties of those if you wanted...anyway, just a new idea if you felt like trying it...

No comments: