Custom Search

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Surprise! Make your own Ice Cream..no machine required!

I bought several containers of sour cream at the grocery store a few weeks back.  By 'bought', I mean, got them for 10 cents after coupon!  But then I realized I bought 4 containers of sour cream with an expiration date in August, and we don't use sour cream very much...what to do?! 
I scoured the internet for ideas...found a recipe called Granny's Ice Cream...I was skeptical, but it is insanely good, and easy, and your kids can help!

Granny's Ice Cream
4 egg whites
2/3 cup sour cream
1 t vanilla
1/2 cup gran. sugar

Beat the egg whites in a metal mixing bowl until foamy.  Add in the vanilla and sugar, and continue beating until soft peaks form.(This takes awhile, and it always seems that it works better if the egg whites are at room temperature---separate whites first, then let them sit about 20 minutes if you are having a hard time getting them to stiffen).  When the soft peak forms, use a spatula to gently fold in your sour cream til blended.  Add any flavorings now.  Place in the freezer, stirring the mixture once every 30 minutes for about 2-2.5 hours.  You don't have to stir it, but it is more creamy instead of 'icy' if you do stir...I only stirred mine twice and it was phenomenal!!!

To ours, I added a cup of chocolate chips, some mint extract, and a few drops of green food coloring...mint chocolate chip!  In the future, I would use fresh, chopped mint from our garden, but the baby was preventing any such notion tonight!  I probably won't use food coloring next time...it was fine, but I only used it to get Trenton to try it..kids are strange, as you probably know, about eating some things...I thought that if he saw the ice cream as any other mint chocolate chip ice cream(green), he would be more willing to like it!  Of course, he said later that he likes the natural mint chocolate chip, so he's all for the idea of fresh mint instead of extract and food coloring!

My next sour cream ice cream will have some frozen berries added to it..yum!

Oh, this recipe says 'serves 4'..it serves 3 in our house!  I will stress again that this was delicious!  I simply cannot believe that ice cream made from sour cream would be this tasty!  I hope you try it...best part:  no ice cream maker necessary!

No comments: