Custom Search

Friday, August 6, 2010

Horchata recipe

My son is going to love this!  I got Trenton to try horchata a couple of years ago, and he was hooked.  Now, he asks for it everytime we go to an authentic Mexican restaurant.  You can buy horchata mixes at the store, but it's not the same.  This recipe sounds like a good project for Trenton to do on his own, and something he and I will enjoy!

•Rice -- 2 cups
•Water -- 6 cups
•Cinnamon -- 1/2 teaspoon
•Sugar -- 1/3 cup
•Vanilla -- 1 teaspoon

Method
1.Soak the rice overnight in 3 cups of the water. Add the rice, soaking water and cinnamon to a blender and puree until smooth, 2-3 minutes.
2.Strain into a pitcher through a fine-meshed sieve or several layers of cheesecloth. There should be no grit or large particles in the liquid.
3.Stir in the remaining 3 cups water, sugar and vanilla. Adjust sugar to taste and serve well chilled

1 comment:

My Favorite Deals said...

I spent a month studying in Mexico and the recipe looks great!

My local Mexican restaurants don't have horchata.

Thanks for sharing!