Custom Search

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup in the Slow Cooker

I know, it's hot outside, but I was craving soup...I sent Trenton on his bike to the store to pick up celery this morning.  While he was on his errand, I chopped 1# of carrots I got at Target yesterday for 50 cents, and placed those in the slow-cooker.  I added a package of drumsticks I got at Target awhile back for 24 cents after coupon.  I dumped in some water, thyme, sage, onion, and a little chicken boullion.  When Trenton arrived back home, I chopped 4 stalks of celery(it was only 99 cents a bag) and added them to the dish.
I cooked the soup on low for 6-8 hours, at which point I pulled out the drumsticks and the meat just fell off the bones!  I put the deboned chicken back in the dish to stay hot while I boiled water for the pasta...we were out of egg noodles, so I used some wheat penne pasta...turned out great!  I contemplated adding some tomato juice and a little spice to make more of an Italian pasta soup, but I didn't think the kids would go for it.  Actually, the soup was wonderful as is..no salt, nothing extra!

Funny story, the kids and I were heading out the door for Saturday night Mass as my husband was walking in the door...I quickly told him that there was soup on the top shelf(meaning, the fridge) for him to have before he had to leave again.  When we got back from church, I noticed the soup was untouched...hmm, guess he wasn't hungry!
I noticed about 20 minutes later a can in the trashbag...can of Campbells chunky chicken noodle soup...guess he thought I meant the cabinet top shelf!  Well, he missed out..my soup was far better than a can...he can have some tomorrow!

No comments: