Custom Search

Monday, April 11, 2011

Slow cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole

I love cabbage rolls, but I don't have the patience time to roll them perfectly, so I make a casserole in the slow cooker...tastes great!  A very easy meal:

Cut the core of one cabbage, wash cabbage, and microwave several minutes until leaves are softened.  You may want to do this in several batches.

In a mixing bowl, stir together 1lb  uncooked ground beef or turkey, 1 cup uncooked rice, salt & pepper, a big dash of cinnamon, and about 8oz of tomato juice or veg juice (I use spicy v8).

Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with more tomato juice, then line the botton with several cabbage leaves.  Layer some of the meat/rice mixture, then more cabbage.  Repeat until you are out of ingredients.  Pour more juice until all is covered.

Cook on low until the rice and meat are cooked...I've never really timed it, I usually simply leave my meals in the slow cooker from about 9am until 5pm and it is always great, never overcooked.  With this dish, you may want to stir it up a bit, or at least loosen the bottom layer once...sometimes it likes to stick to the bottom.

I don't like spicy things, but my husband does...he still adds hot sauce to his cabbage roll casserole even with the spicy v8, but the kids and I can eat it...not too spicy, just enough zing!

No comments: