Custom Search

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Yummm...Fried Rice!





That yumminess is what I had for lunch today!  I am really stuffed because I ate it all!

My plate today was veggies only, but I'll share my recipe from dinner a few nights ago with chicken.
I'll probably never eat Chinese Take-Out again...this was too easy!

Rice, white or brown 1 cup dry
1 lb Chicken breast, cooked and diced(or use beef, pork, shrimp whatever)
1 bag mixed veggies(or broccoli, snow peas, caulilower)
1/2 c diced onion
2-4 T sesame oil
2-4 T soy sauce
garlic, powder or minced
ginger, ground

Having a baby who is very needy, I prepare things in shifts, then everything is ready when dinnertime rolls around.  ince the prep was done, this took about 15 minutes to finalize.  The other day, I baked several chicken breasts, then diced and cooled, separating into bags and freezing.  I used 1 bag for dinner, thawing in the microwave.  I cooked a bag of mixed veggies in microwave for 6 minutes.  I chopped a head of fresh broccoli and steamed in a bowl with 2 T water in the microwave 3 minutes.  I cooked the rice according to directions(1cup dry rice-2 cups water) in the microwave.
While the rice was cooking, I heated a skillet on med-high.  Place a couple T sesame oil, 1/8t ginger, 1/2 t garlic(or to your satisfaction) and a couple T soy sauce in the skillet.  When it's nice and hot, add the veggies, turning in the sauce/oil mixture so it doesn't burn.  Keep stirring for about 3-4 minutes then put all this into a large bowl.  Add just a bit more oil, soy sauce, garlic(ginger if you like), and then the meat;  again, stir to coat the pieces, and heat just til heated through;  put in the bowl with veggies.  The rice should be about done.  Add more oil & soy sauce to the skillet;  when hot, add the rice and stir, stir, stir.  Don't want the rice to stick!  When rice is nicely coated and somewhat 'fried', add to veggies & meat.  Stir these together and serve. 
You could add sprouts, cabbage, egg, mushrooms...I used what I had at hand!  We did NOT have leftovers when I made this!
I will make this again soon, but use noodles instead of rice for a 'lo mein' type dish...yum!  And, this probably only cost about $3 to make!

No comments: