Custom Search

Friday, January 1, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

This was a great recipe to use up some items I already had on hand!  Remember, I don't measure things very often, so don't follow it exactly!

approx 1 lb cut chicken breast(you could use raw, but I baked some a few days ago and froze half of it, then used the frozen pieces in this dish) approx 2.00
bag frozen mixed veggies approx 0.99, but I probably used a coupon and got it almost free
several potatoes, cut into chunks approx 0.50(I took a 10# bag I bought for 1.39 and cut up, tossed with oil & salt/pepper, then baked til almost cooked, then separated into meal size portions and froze in bags for later use)
1 can chicken broth 0.69, but I know I used a coupon to get this for free!
1/4 cup flour
1 cup water
salt, pepper, thyme to taste

I threw all of this into the slow cooker and let it cook on high until an hour or two before I was ready to serve dinner.
Then I realized it wasn't very thick and mixed a few more Tablespoons of flour with some more water, and added that and a little more salt & pepper to the pot.
When the mix was hot & bubbly again, I mixed up my biscuits.  You could use storebought, in a can, but I didn't have any, so here is the recipe I used:

Drop Biscuits/dumplings
2 c flour
1 T baking powder
2 t sugar
1/4 t salt
1/2 c melted butter
1 c milk

as I melted the butter in the microwave, I mixed together the dry ingredients(you could add some herbs or seasonings to this if you wanted to add a little extra oomph!).  Then I added the butter & milk, stirred until everything was moist but still lumpy. 

Then I dropped spoonfuls of the biscuits into the hot liquid and let them cook about 20 minutes.  You can check to see if the dumplings are done with a toothpick or knife---it should come out clean when ready.
And you can see this was very inexpensive to make, probably less than $5, even counting the flour, butter & milk.  Plus, it will give us about 6 generous servings.

No comments: