Custom Search

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cream of Potato soup with bacon and leeks

Oh, my!  Thanks to Michelle for the bag of leeks and the great recipe to go along with it!  I tweaked the recipe a bit, and I am LOVING the results (on my second bowl now!)

Sautee 2 leeks, chopped, in 1 cup of butter(or butter substitute, like I did).
rinse and dice 4 cups of potatoes (I left the skins on, although the recipe calls for skins removed;  I used regular russet potatoes instead of fancy yukons or new potatoes).
Chop and brown a small amount of bacon(I used turkey bacon;  I browned a whole package, then bagged most of it and threw it in the freezer to have ready for future recipes).
I put all that into my crockpot, along with a nice sprinkle of pepper, 2 quarts of chicken broth, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, and 2 cups of heavy cream.

I cooked this on high for a few hours, stirring occasionally, then I turned it down to the low setting to thicken up.  It's still pretty thin compared to cream of potato I've had before, but it is delicious, and it will thicken up for leftovers (if we have any!).  I contemplated adding some green beans and carrots, but it is perfection as is...I may add some veggies for the kids, in the leftover batch.

No comments: